Avoid lower back pain when gardeningWritten by Laurelle Caristo
After the downpour of rain and while we are on holidays, a lot of us are getting out in the garden to attack the weeds and over doing it. Just remember to pace yourself and follow some of the advice below:
- Do a quick warm up – stretch before gardening!
- Pace yourself, garden for 30-45min at a time and take a break.
- Bend your knees when lifting, rather than bending from your waist so you avoid twisting.
- Lift with your legs
- Use a kneeling pad and switch/alternate tasks
- Remember to keep your spine long and your shoulders relaxed
- Appoint some help – Sharing the load leaves you to delegate the tasks you don’t like and enjoy the tasks you do.
- Finish the day off with a warm Epsom salt bath.
Despite all of your best effort to avoid back pain, you do get some pain remember your hot/cold compresses to alleviate pain and make an appointment with your chiropractor 😉